Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Working

Let's do it. The point of this thing, I've worked in the garden twice now. With my digital camera there can even be pictures. This first one was taken during a visit in March. 

It's the nature of gardening to feel behind and already I feel like a couple weeks are lost. I wanted to have my peas in for weeks - at least I got them planted today, as well as setting out some arugula started from seed a month ago (3/3 it has only been lingering and really was ready to plant two weeks back). I hope it gets some size to it before the flea beetles are out. Flea beetles in this garden are not nuisances, they are menaces, last year they outright killed some cabbage sets and turned two summer plantings of rutabagas to dust. I will have plenty of chances to talk about pests in the future, so let me turn to more pleasant things. 

On Monday (3/7) I planted a triple row of spinach (Melody) next to my garlic, as well as a split row of lettuce - half Buttercrunch and half Red Sails. The Red Sails is lovely, but no comparison to Buttercrunch in flavor. I hope to get two or three spring spinach plantings; lettuce will be almost continuous from now until November's last harvest. I will probably trial about ten different lettuce varieties. I have two other red varieties already started inside, one leaf and one romaine. Because I figure such a short window of opportunity for the arugula I planted it alongside and between my 10' double row of Sugar Daddy Peas. I know nothing of Sugar Daddy, except I assume its a sugar snap type, not a shelling pea. Maybe I will go onto Vegetable Varieties, one of my favorite websites, to check it out.

So far between cleanup and planting I have spent about an hour and a half in the garden. On Monday I pruned my raspberries, cutting the canes down to about 18." This means I will lose my summer crop, but they should make up for it in the fall, when the fruit is less bothered by bugs anyway. Hopefully it will keep them a little more out of my way during the growing season as well, since they will be starting off a little smaller. I am lucky with the berries, because they came with the plot and are grandfathered in. CDCG doesn't allow people to plant raspberries anymore because they have a tendency to take over. There are several plots here at Ridgefield, which is an old garden, that are completely covered with raspberries. Indeed, last springtime I was forced to defend my own borders with a sharp spade to keep out the encroaching runners of neighbor's berries. Fortunately, it didn't take much effort to keep them at bay after they were thrown from the ramparts the first time. 

There are a few things besides garlic and raspberries left in the garden from last year. Here's a picture of one: