Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Damn, I just wanted to talk about crop rotations. But a friend said the other day, when I told him about the miles of fence being built on the Mexican Border, he said: "they're really doing that?" 

Like, maybe it's some thing that's not really happening.
But, Yeah.  We're building a fence. 
It's the same thing for me with GMO's - Genetically Modified Organisms

And so I forget. It slips my mind. But I need to bear witness, even to myself, I need to remember: The law does not require a company to tell us if their food has been created from the DNA of another plant or creature. In our law all corn is the same corn, whether made in the laboratory or in the field. Perhaps there is a place for genetic engineering - you would be surprised to know what role it already plays in your life, but not all corn is the same corn.

My grandfather was an early adapter of contour plowing. He was the first in his county to use a rubber-wheeled tractor. He said: "They all told me it would sink in the mud."
But he kept his horses. Down in a pasture by the river. He kept them long after most horses were replaced by tractors on other farms. He kept them as a precautionary measure, a hedge against technology. A horse does not run out of gas, not start in the cold. Grandpa was conservative by nature, not a fool.
I'm not a Luddite, but it is my right to know if my corn's genome has been infected with a bacteria. I want a hedge against technology, but currently the law doesn't give me the right to keep horses.
 
GMO crops should be listed as ingredients in the food we eat. It happens in other places.

Everyone talks about crop science and genetic engineering, But let's be honest, most GMO crops are designed for herbicide resistance. If GMO crops were so great for consumers the great agricultural technology companies would declaim their value to us, but they do not, they hide their product among golden mountains and silos of grain. If GMO's held some great advantage to the consumer then companies would promote them, but instead they hide. This advantage is not for us. It is for Monsanto.

Ronald Reagan said there would be no free lunch and I have heard, you can't get something for nothing. Because the impacts of our technological advancements are not immediately apparent, does not mean they are not significant. 

Studies continue to show the higher food and health values of organic meat and produce, but did you know that GMO's are actively bad for you? Here's some research, I will try to find more.

Science gives us a hundred cures for cancer, along with a thousand causes. 

Fight the power. Let the president know. Real food for Real people. 

Remember most GMO crops are either corn, soy or canola, avoid them or buy organic (organic rules do not allow GMO's)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember, vegetables should not make you angry.