Monday, April 6, 2009

Time and Making Timing

Went to the garden on Saturday with good intentions. But it was cold and the wind was blowing and the soil was wet from rain. 

In the upper right corner you can see my block of garlic. if there was a close up you would see that the late- planted Bavarian White had almost caught up to its peers.

The white blanket is remay. I use it to moderate temperatures and maintain moisture. During the summer I cover carrot plantings with it so they don't dry out before germination. In the fall it provides protection from frost and freezes.

Now, in the spring, it holds the day's warmth a little longer into the night and encourages the spinach to sprout.

I have been using this same piece of remay for two years now. I think it will last for several more.

I wish I had taken a thin strip of it and covered the peas. They are just barely above the ground. Both plantings, although made of different varieties, planted a week apart, are equally far along.
Timing is everything. 





 




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember, vegetables should not make you angry.