Monday, June 1, 2009

Parsnoops

Some people call them Parsnips. A new crop for me this year, planted next to another - Celeriac. I planted both on Sunday. I also planted two types of winter squash: Kabucha and Butternut "Raritan," as well as a blend of yellow, green and white patty pan squashes, 'Sugar Pie' pumpkins and okra.


The parsnips and celeriac are planted next to "Mokum" carrots, which seem to have germinated erratically, which is probably related to the big footprint in the middle of the patch - I suspect someone retrieving a softball was a bit careless.
More potatoes were found sprouted in the cupboard - I thought I ordered more! So I planted French Fingerlings and La Ratte, another fingerling, alongside the other potatoes. I have set a few potatoes aside, because this week I plan to create my "Potato Box," which will theoretically allow me to grow a huge amount of potatoes in a small space. We shall see!
We also harvested a huge bag of greens- enough for two large salads a day for Tiz and I throughout the week. It consists of spinach, three types of lettuce, radicchio and red orach- along with dill and chives. Tiz has the first of her bouquets on the windowsill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember, vegetables should not make you angry.