Monday, March 16, 2009

Yesterday we enjoyed the first blasts of spring. It was nearly 50 and sunny. The ball fields were full of anxious players and I was just as anxious to get started gardening. First I did some clean up, removing the last of the fall crops I hadn't harvested. The clean up turned into a gleaning as I managed to salvage leeks, turnips and carrots. I took them home and roasted them with herbs and some Veggie Mobile goodies I had in the fridge. After roasting they went in the blender with a bit of stock and Viola! a delicious soup. I had it for lunch today. My first harvest of the season on March 15th, substantial and delicious!


The Garlic is up. The Bavarian White, which was planted several weeks later than most, is barely above ground, the other varieties have several inches head start. Self-seeded mache is growing nicely where it was planted the fall before last.  

Before I went to the garden I looked for the planting plan I drew up a month back - of course I could not find it. So I relied on my memory as to where I meant to plant peas. I planted Sugar Daddy, a dwarf edible-podded pea that is supposed to bear in 45 days. If I am lucky I will have peas in May! It is supposed to remain warm this week, so its possible, doubtful, but possible. I prepped a bed for mache and spinach, which I hope to plant tomorrow. Hope springs eternal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember, vegetables should not make you angry.